In this article we would create a window XP bootable disk from copied files. This is very useful when you have copied files of XP. To keep backup we generally copy the entire disk on hard disk. But you could not create a bootable disk from these files. To make a bootable XP disk from copied files we need to add boot files with image on CD.
The following items are required:
- A copy of the original Windows CD/DVD.
- A copy of the Boot Files Download from here.
- A minimum of 1GB available hard disk space for CD's.
- A minimum of 5GB available hard disk space for DVD's.
Extract the zip file
This zip file contain all required boot files
Create a folder named xpcd on c:\ drive and copy all the files and folder of windows XP cd in it
Now start your CD burning software I have used NERO for it
Select new options from files menu then choose CD-ROM(BOOT)
In right pane do following settings
- Select boot tab
- Select Image file from Source of boot image data
- Click on Browse and choose boot.ima ( where you have extract image files)
- Check Enable expert settings (for advanced users only!).
- Set Kind of emulation: to No Emulation.
- Set Load segment of sectors (hex!): to 0000.
- Set Number of loaded sectors: to 4.
Click on the ISO tab.
- Set File name length to Max. of 31 chars (ISO Level 2).
- Set Format to Mode 1.
- Set Character Set to ISO 9660 (standard ISO CD-ROM).
- Check the Joliet check box.
- Check all Relax ISO Restrictions.
- Check Allow more than 64 characters for Joliet names.
Click on the Label tab.
- IN ISO 9660 text field Enter volume lable
- IN Joliet text boxes. Enter system identifier label
Click the Burn tab.
- Check Write.
- Check Finalize CD (No further writing possible!).
- Set Write Method to Disc-at-once. (We have had Track-At-Once work as well.)
Click the New button
Locate the folder C:\xpcd ( OR where you have copied xp cd)
Select everything from the folder and drag it to the ISO compilation panel.
and Click the burn CD Dialog button
Verify the settings. Correct if needed.
Click the Burn button.
This will launch CD burning wizard
Click the OK button
Congratulations you have successfully created windows xp bootable cd.
Now you can use this window XP bootable cd for installation.